Important Information About Chrome v100 and MediaCentral Users
In an abundance of caution, Avid is proactively reaching out to make their customers aware of a potential issue, and prevent any potential business interruption for users of Google’s Chrome browser and some Avid products.
On March 29, Google will be updating Chrome to version 100. If you are planning to implement this version, users of the Avid MediaCentral platform may encounter an issue when logging in through their web browser. For full details, please read this MediaCentral and Chrome100 Knowledge Base article. Avid will be providing real-time updates to the Knowledge Base article over the coming days.
What Users May Encounter
Due to an issue in the version verification system, MediaCentral flags Chrome v100 as invalid and the user is blocked from signing into the system. The user is presented with a warning message that cannot be bypassed, similar to the following:
“Unsupported browser version MediaCentral | Cloud UX needs Chrome 49 or later to perform at its best.”
Affected products (all versions) by the Chrome v100 update are:
- Avid MediaCentral | Cloud UX
- Avid MediaCentral | Sync
- Avid Editorial Management
*Note: this issue affects the Welcome screen only. Once signed into the system, all other functionality is normal. All MediaCentral Panels that connect to the platform also are not affected.
Patches Coming by March 25
Avid is actively working on updates for the affected products, and plans to release updates by March 25 for MediaCentral | Cloud UX versions: v2020.4.13, v2020.9.13, v2021.3.6, v2021.7.10 and v2021.11.4. Updates for other affected products will be released as soon as they are available.
We recommend you plan for a maintenance window in advance of March 29 to ensure you can deploy patches as soon as they are released.
In the meantime, you can mitigate the Chrome v100 impact by doing either of the following:
- Launch Chrome with a specific user agent version.
- For more information, see “Altering the User Agent Version” on page 3 of our Knowledge Base article.
- Disable Chrome auto-updates
- For details on this process, see the “MediaCentral_Flash_Player_EOL.pdf” document on this Avid Knowledge Base page: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Avid-video-products-and-FLASH-replacement-for-2020
- While possible, Avid does not recommend disabling Chrome’s auto-update feature as this can block the browser’s ability to install important features and security patches.
Our team is grateful for your partnership and attention to proactively prevent and reduce any negative impact of the automatic update on March 29. If you have questions or need additional information, please visit the Avid Community forums or open a ticket through your My Avid account.
CALL US ON 01932 255 666 FOR MORE DETAILS.